There are 2 ways to set up a “Blog Listing” type page. Many themes will require you to select a blog listing page in settings > reading, in the WordPress backend, however we find this method more restricted and recommend using option 1.
Option 1 : Using the “Blog Posts” page template:
1. Go to pages, and create a new page, on the right hand side select the “Blog Posts” page template.
When this page template is selected there will appear options related to this template.
2. Firstly there are categories, this is useful if you are creating multiple blog pages and want to display on certain categories for each.
3. Select a view type, there are multiple ways to display your posts., experiment to see which is best for you. Remember for the grid view options you should set a featured image for your posts.
4. Select the number of posts per page.
5. Show pagination, select “Yes” if you want to show more posts.
There are other options available for the blog page:
6. Set the featured image, this is useful for sharing pages in social networks.
7. Title Decoration image, this will add an image above the title, we recommend using images no larger than 50px in height.
8. Layout and sidebars, you can assign a left or right sidebar to the page. See more documentation here on sidebars.
Option 2: Set up a Blog page is to select a page under the Settings->Reading. But if you select a page from here, then even if that page is using the ‘Blog posts’ page template, none of the template options will work because it will be ignored.
The options below will work for blog page selected under Settings->Reading :